Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Final

Womp! Womp! Womp!
Okay, not really.
More like:
Wiggly! Wiggly! Wiggly!



Well, that's not very Wiggly.
It was.
Wiggly I mean.
If you, the reader, have been following along at home, you know that I picked up this Rockhopper a while back and on its maiden voyage I broke a spoke.
As usual, it's taken me some time to get to it, seeing as how that was the first and last time I rode that bike.
So this morning, after my deep thoughts, I started in.
I took off a spoke and took it to the LBS.
Well, what happened was, a few of them spokes were of the galvanized type, so I took one of them off hoping to replace it with a SS spoke.
It turned out them old spokes were the wrong size and had been laced up wrong:



You can see that the spokes had been laced up incorrectly over the opposing spoke, as I found out later it was because they were shorter than the original spokes:



So off I went, back to the LBS with the correct spoke this time for five, since I had to replace the bad spokes.
Still following along?
So anyways, I replace the spokes and start truing up the wheel.
Sort of.
I mean I got it all side to side straight.
Then I spun it up and noticed it was not perfectly round.
So I started to try and take out the out or roundness.
Which made the side to side all goofy.
Which is what you see in the video above.
I'd like to say that I spent like ten minutes on them spokes, but I did not.
Take ten minutes.
The fact is, I don't exactly know how long I was fooling around with it, though I did notice that I started with the football game and was still messing around with it at half time.
So where did it get me?
Right back to where I started:



You can see the zip tie on the fork I used for the side to side thing, but the wheel is still sort of ovoid.
Ovoidal?
Elliptical?
You catch my drift.
Anyways I gave up after a bit, my fingers were getting tired.
So while I was sitting there, turning them spokes, suddenly a vision appeared in my head.
Carbon fibre!
More on that later.

3 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

I wonder if you could carve a little rubber off the tire over the ovoid protuberance so that the whole thing taken together was round.

limom said...

Now that you mention it, it's sort of a waste of time considering most of them MTB tires are all out of round.
Womp! Womp! Womp!

Playmobil Airport said...

Bottoms up! It would be a best day to spend your day with your family.