Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Early Edition

Soul searching.
That's what I've been doing.
Though I didn't really know it.
When I first started riding a bicycle, regularly I mean, I had no idea it would lead to this.
It all happened so fast, without even thinking about it, without any kind of plan.
One day, I woke up and suddenly bicycling was a large part of my life.
Sometimes I wonder what I would be doing know if it wasn't.
I'd still be carrying those extra pounds, out of shape, riding the couch.
Okay, I still spend an inordinate amount of time watching Law & Order.
Sometimes though, I do manage to pull myself away from the tv to get out and smell the flowers.
So to speak.
My living room wouldn't be crowded with all sorts of things bicycle and bicycle related, my book shelf would have a bit more space on it, and I'd probably be making more clay stuff.
I'm not quite sure what happened.
I look around me sometimes, and it's like I wonder who lives here, who owns all this stuff?
It's gotta be me; I don't see anyone else coming and going.
I'm not quite sure what to make of all this.
I also find myself in a sort of transitional period.
Admittedly, I'm not the same as when I first started riding.
I mean I'm not itching to get out like before, not as hardcore if you will.
I don't know, maybe I've hit a plateau.
Or maybe I've found a comfort zone.
Which may be a good or bad thing.
I feel like my enthusiasm for riding has waned.
I don't daydream about being out on the road, my yearly mileage has dropped and I do get lazy.
On the other hand, I feel more involved with bicycling than I have ever been.
At this point, I feel like it's not only important to do, it's also important to do something.
Maybe my enthusiasm is just going in another direction.
Priorities changing and all that.
I'm even rethinking the whole Quest for Frame(QFF) thing, maybe redirecting some of the funds to where it will do more good.
I mean I'm pretty much already good.
More gooder than most.
If you know what I mean.
No? You, the reader don't know?
Volunteering over at Kvibe the co-op place is responsible.
For the attitude change I mean.
Seeing these kids pop in, ready to work for a bicycle is enlightening.
I mean just getting a bicycle is a big deal, and we're not talking no carbon fibre Dura Ace fifteen pound wonder bike.
We're talking just a bicycle.
I've only been out there for three days and lemme tell you three is days is more than enough to shift the paradigm.
More on this later.
For now, lemme just see if I can hit the road today with my Campagnolo equipped bicycle and see if it makes me a better bicyclist.
I'm sort of hoping is does.
Then again, I think I know the answer.

3 comments:

Steve A said...

I will be interested to see where this winds up...

TrevorW�� said...

I feel a 'change of gear' coming on- if you know what I mean....

-Trevor

limom said...

Steve A, me too.

Trevor, I see what you did there.