Thursday, January 19, 2012

A New High

In more ways than one.
Or maybe it's a new low.
I'm not sure.
I mean for sure it's a new high, but it may also be a sign that something is very much wrong.
Or very much right.
I'm so confused.
See when I first got into this bicycle thing, I new I had to get me some tools.
I had a set of metric hex wrenches already, of the Snap On persuasion, so I thought I was pretty much set.
I even got a set of hex wrenches for a 3/8" drive ratchet.
Being for automotive type usage though, they were kinda on the bulky side to use and keep handy.
So I got me a multi-tool:



One of them Topeak Alien jobs with like every tool you'd ever need to work on your bike.
Which was a good thing for I got some use out of it, but it was kinda big and heavy to be carrying around with me.
So I looked for something more manageable.
Since by that time I had two bicycles, I got two of these:



I thought them Park I-Beams were great!
Only the essentials, fit right in the saddle bag.
One day, the Formerly Evil Hoku gave me this:



Topeak Mini-8.
Nice.
Great for working on the bike and I could leave them other tools in the bags.
From there is sort of escalated.
Maybe exploded is a better description.
I guess it makes sense, for the bicycle thing sort of took off too as bicycle started to come and go.
Well I decided that I needed one of them three way Park tool thingys, and some Torx wrenches, and another Torx when I got all Campagnolo Crazy, and then it was a hassle to use a multi-tool so I needed some individual hex wrenches, and then you get some free hex wrenches when you buy stuff like Bicycle Mufflers, and then I needed a 10mm hex for them Ultra Torque cranks which I had but was too lazy to get for by this time, all the Snap On hex wrenches were back in the roll cab where they actually belonged.
Then for Christmas, I got another set:



Awesome!
I think.
All these tools may be indicative of some deep rooted psychological problem.
You know, like maybe I didn't have enough toys as a kid.
Or tools.
Which is crazy, for as long as I can remember, I've been surrounded by tools of all kinds.
I've also lost more tools than I can remember, which is part of the reason why I bought Snap On tools.
I mean you just don't lose Snap On tools!
They cost so much you tend to keep track of them like they were made of gold.
Which I think they are.
Made of gold I mean.
Anyways, back to my deep rooted psychological problems, which I don't want to burden you, the reader with, but what did I find myself doing tonight?
Looking for more hex wrenches!
I don't know where it came from, but suddenly, out of the blue, I decided that it would be way cool to have me some hex wrenches of the titanium variety.
Unfortunately for me, someone actually makes some.
Well I was able to stop myself from certain hex wrench doom by taking an impromptu inventory:



Still, them titanium hex wrenches would be pretty nice.
They won't rust and I could save me some weight in the ole saddle bag.
Then again, if I did that, I'd have to get me one of them compact chain tools.
Or two.
I mean at this point, a couple of more tools to the pile won't really make a difference.
If you know what I mean.

5 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

The Final Sign of hexamania is being able to accurately recognize the size hex wrench needed. When someone asks to use your multi-tool, you not only hand it to him, but you hand it to him with the correct hex driver extended.

limom said...

I used to be able to do that with sockets since I used them every day.
Nowadays, once a bicycle is put together, it's pretty much good to go and the wrenches sit unused.
Until the next build.
Which makes my collection, and my constant acquistions, very strange.

Steve A said...

Wow, them's a lot of multi tools!

limom said...

I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed.

rlove2bike said...

Ahhhh...lack of weight. I too have quite a pile.