Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On Your Mark!

Ready?
Go!
Like molasses in winter.
I swear it was agonizing watching the kids today working with circular saws.
As I said earlier, most of them have never worked with tools, much less power tools so I suppose some apprehension is in order.
They all lined up saws in hand:



What proceeded was the World Slowness Record in Cutting a Two by Four(WSRCTXF)!
I swear, some of them must have took like five minutes to cut through that wood!
Poor saws.
All wound up with no place to cut.
Push! I said.
I am, they said.
Okay.
I shouldn't make fun, this was only their second time.
It was like a power saw ballet, in slow motion.
Difficult to watch.
In other news, today this came in:



Oh yeah baby!
The Holy Bible of the Adult Erector Set(HBAES)!
That 80/20 stuff is extruded aluminium that folks use to make homemade frame jigs out of.
As you can see, the catalog is fairly large, telephone book sized, with all kinds of alloy goodness inside.
So much so that I don't know quite where to start.
Fortunately, I got a parts list.
Sort of.
According to the 80/20 folks, anything is possible!
Like this:



Or if you are feeling really crafty, this:



I was thinking Trevor might have a go at that one.
All them cupcakes don't you know.
So anyways, once I figure out how to use that tome, I'll know what it's going to cost me to make a simple frame jig.
I think the parts will be fairly inexpensive, the shipping is thing that will kill me.
Being on an island in the middle of the ocean is not always a good thing.
Especially when ordering things that are really long.
Anyways, we'll see if this frame building thing is feasible or not.
If anything, that lizard cage looks pretty cool.
Don't touch that dial!

5 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

That Lizard cage doesn't look as cool as that Cupcake tower...
The problem is that the cupcakes wouldn't stay on there for very long.

-Trevor

Steve A said...

Keep in mind that those kids are learning things from you that they will use all their lives - and that each of them only has ten fingers...

rlove2bike said...

Brings back memories. Our shop class in a very small school in northern WI about 40 years ago...priceless. Illegal today I am sure.

Thanks for the post!!

John Romeo Alpha said...

I was always dissatisfied with the cutting speed of your typical saw. Then someone gave me a worm drive Skil saw, and I felt awe at its 2x4 cutting speed. And sound. Sometimes, I sneak out to the shed and cut on scrap just to experience it.

limom said...

Trevor, you'd just have to make it taller!

Steve A, I don't really teach them, I'm just an observer.

rlove2bike, something about the smell of sawdust....

JRA, no one wants the humungasoid skil saw, too big and heavy.
Go figure.