Saturday, January 7, 2012

Getting Busy

So to speak.
I mean usually on a Saturday, I take it easy, plant myself on the couch and watch me some Law & Order.
Or something.
The thing is I could be riding, but coming off a dialysis day, it's not a good idea to go out and exert myself too hard.
Besides, I'm really lazy.
So I was thinking, since I don't ride my bike, I should still try and do something bicycle related.
More on this later.
Anyways, this morning I went out in hunt of angle iron January:



Over at The Warehouse, there was a bunch of angle iron I needed to make me a welding table.
I also got me a steel shelf for the top.
I cut the angle iron to make the legs and some supports, now I just need to bolt the whole thing up.
You know, later.
So after I was done scavenging in the parking lot, it was time for me to make good on an offer.
I decided sometime last year, to volunteer some time over at Kvibe, the local bicycle co-op place:



As I said earlier, on Saturday mornings, I'm usually sitting around thinking of things bicycle related, so instead of just sitting around, I decided to try and do something bicycle related.
Kvibe caters mostly to youths, who can come in and work on their bicycles or they can choose one of the many donated bikes to fix up and take home.
If they help work on it and learn about how a bicycle works.
They are quizzed before they can take their new rides home.
Moi, being the FNG, I just helped clean up the place as they are trying to make more work space:



For some odd reason, they had like a GAGILLION drive side cranks, but no non drive side crank arms.
Very curious.
We also dumped a whole lotta wheels that were just sitting around taking up space, and some frames that were on this side of toast.
While I was there, three young girls came in to get bicycles.
They were led in back to pick out some frames, then helped by the other volunteers to get their bikes in working condition.
By the time I left, all three were enjoying their new to them bicycles, riding around in the parking lot.
I don't quite know what my role will be there, I just hope to do whatever I can to help the folks at Kvibe accompish their mission.

4 comments:

Big Oak said...

Very cool. You'll figure out how to fit there soon.

Oldfool said...

That's a good thing. If we had something like that here I would volunteer but I'm not inclined to start one because of the "old and tired" syndrome.

Mark said...

Sounds like a pretty good Saturday to me.

limom said...

Thanks guys! We'll see how it works out.
Just being around that place sort of gave me a warm fuzzy, especially them girls riding around after fixing up their bicycles.
More soul crushing fodder.
If you know what I mean.
Okay, not really.
Maybe.

Oldfool, you know I contemplated doing something like this in Kailua, but the logistics are pretty overwhelming.
Space is a premium around these parts, which is a very large negative.
Very large, as in XL.