Saturday, January 14, 2012

It Could Be A Bicycle

Sort of.
I think.
Well this semester, I'm no longer in the metal shop, I'm now in the wood shop.
I mean it's kind of a wood shop, they got wood tools, but it's more like a construction shop, where you learn to hang studs and frame and hang doors and windows.
Oh and learn how to use power tools.
Again like last year, I'm really surprised how many of these kids haven't held a tool in their hands.
Power or not.
So anyways, the wood place is right next to the metal shop so I'm still poking my nose in there to see what's going on.
Apparently some good things, like this:



I guess you'd call that a tricycle.
I mean cause of the three wheels and all.
Not really your traditional tricycle, or even like a Big Wheel, cause of the innovative steering mechanism.
The rear axle pivots and is controlled by the two handles there with the yellow grips.
Really kinda cool!
They added a seat after this image was taken and a couple of students were riding that thing around campus.
Just goes to show that if you give these kids a chance, they can come up with some pretty neat stuff!
I'm gonna try and see if I can get them some more frame fodder to fool around with.
Over at Kvibe, there's a lot of stuff getting tossed as I'm helping to clean up some.
Most of the parts there are just junk, trashed brake levers and stuff missing brackets and stuff so I'm helping them sort through all of that and keeping the things that are well, worth keeping.
I must have dumped like four five gallon buckets worth of worthless parts.
Tons of derailleurs missing screws and kick stands without mounting brackets were all tossed and taken to the dump.
My pay for the day:



A sort of nice pair of Dura Ace aero levers.
You know, just in case.
There's a bicycle thing in Kailua that's in the planning stages.
Something wonderful.
I don't know what's gotten into me, but I volunteered to help out.
I'll know more about it on Monday.
Stay tuned.

No comments: