Monday, January 16, 2012

This Should Be Interesting

Maybe.
I mean I'm not really sure, as "this" is still in its infancy, but I think it will be.
From my point of view.
I think.
First of all, this all started off with an email asking me if I'd be willing to volunteer for some bicycle thing in Kailua.
Sure, I said.
Wait.
Before I said sure, I thought about it.
There I go, thinking again.
Well I thought about it for a while and eventually the conclusion was: what harm could it be?
Very hesitant was I, especially since the volunteer part was vague.
Well today it started out here:



Here, if you, the reader, have been following along at home, is the state capitol.
Sort of a nice place to visit, sort of intimidating if you are there on business.
Still I thought allright! now we're playing with power!
Using the Secret Senator Key(SSK), up to the second floor we went:



Ahem, no bicycle parking downstairs.
So anyways, visiting the Kailua district Senator were we.
To talk about this thing, let's call it code word: This
So we spent a couple of hours discussing This, along with some folks with the Hawaii Bicycle League, eleven of us were there.
Lemme just say right here, it was way cool!
Though it was not my intention to get this deeply involved.
I imagined maybe standing out in the road, direct some traffic or something, but it appears that I will have a small, really small part in getting This off the ground.
So what is This?
This, starts off with an idea.
It seems that once you have an idea, you talk to some folks with similar ideas, and off you go!
Okay, not really.
To be honest, This sort of started off small, then grew big, then went back to small.
All things considered, those of us involved in This, still have no idea what This will be.
Not all the details anyways.
For now, This is about bicycling, and that's good enough for me.
Okay Mr. Flat Tire, why so secretive?
Good question.
Well, This is the first time I'm involved with something like well, This.
I'm not too sure what I'm allowed to post.
In other words, I expect that there will be some barriers, and I'm not sure if naming names is prudent.
I mean I haven't even learned the secret handshake yet!
Here are some things I learned today:

Bicycling is a small community. In the big picture, bicyclists carry a really little stick.
Except if it is an election year.

It helps to have folks in high places on board. Especially someone who knows how to navigate at various state and county levels.

You will probably have to consider interests other than your own. I see compromise in the future.

Volunteers are essential. Although it may seem small, there's a lot going on behind the scenes that get large pretty fast.

Which is what I hope to bring here.
The behind the scenes stuff.
If I'm allowed.
Need to get that Top Secret clearance don't you know.
Anyways, hopefully there'll be more in the coming weeks.
Actually, months.
Stay tuned.
This should be good.

4 comments:

Steve A said...

I presume it didn't turn out like the Twilight Zone episode; "To Serve Man."

TrevorW�� said...

Mixing with power eh?
I suppose we will have to start calling you Sir.....

-Trevor

John Romeo Alpha said...

A new brand of custom-made frames made of Italian steel in Hawaii: the Cream Soda bespoke frame is born! La Crema!

limom said...

Steve A, that episode reminds me of AC Clarke's book "Childhoods End" which I may have to reread.

Trevor, start?
I am the Grand Poobah of the Loyal Order of The Flat Tire!
I can walk on water!
when it rains.

JRA, The Flat Tire Bicycle and Soda Works.
I can dig it!
Of course I live in fantasyland.
Maybe.