Saturday, January 28, 2012

What Tup Dragged Home

Well not exactly dragged.
Loaded in the car is more precise.
Today, I spent a few hours doing my cleaning thing over at Kvibe.
Slowly but surely, we are getting rid of the bad and keeping the good, though I'm not sure they'll ever use the spare parts they got:



Parts up the yin yangs!
I swear I must have tossed like twenty free wheels today.
If you squint yer eyeballs, you can see that there's still a lot more stuff to go through.
What I'm trying to do is make some room so that folks can work on their bicycles without stuff hanging off the shelves and poking them in the back.
The bicycle stands were full today:



A repair and a build underway.
So anyways, today as I was cleaning out more wheels, like tons of wheels, I came across something that caught my eyeballs.
Well me being me, I offered to take it home and try and fix it up:





The Vitus 979 was almost full Dura Ace, just the down tube shifters were mismatched.
The only problem was this:



The down tube has separated from the bottom bracket.
I was naive enough to think that some JB Weld would fix that right up.
Wrong!
Frame is toast.
According to those that know about these things.
So instead I guess I'm stripping it down and taking the parts back where they can be of some use to someone else.
Pics later when I break it down.
The frame really is beautiful and nice to look at.
Lemme tell you though, I could feel the tension in the room.
You know, the Italians and the Frenchy.
Still, they should learn to get along.
This may have been a sign of things to come.
Maybe.

4 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

This says it was bonded originally with heat activated epoxy. http://schutt.org/velo/vitus-979.php

JB Weld might be just what the doctor ordered.

Tup said...

Well, actually I was going to hang it on the wall and tell everyone it's the frame I won stage 12 of le Tour on.

limom said...

It is not!

Tup said...

Is too!