Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Mayor's Limo

Which is what we affectionately call the bus.
Or it's what I call the bus.
More appropriately, TheBus.
I forget exactly why I and other folks of my generation call it the Mayor's Limo, but I think it had to do with a former mayor, the one who started up TheBus, and his taking TheBus to work.
I don't know how long he actually rode TheBus, but ever since then, when we wanted to go someplace, we rode the Mayor's Limo:



That is until we all got cars.
Then the Mayor's Limo got sort of a bad rap:
"Eh, you can gimme one ride?"
"Brah, take da Mayor's Limo!"

Or:
"Man, my car stay broke."
"How you goin work?"
"I guess I gotta take da Mayor's Limo."

As time went by and we got older and spoiled, TheBus sort of lost its glamour.
If you know what I mean.
Well now, times a changing and the TheBus is cooler now.
Besides the air conditioning I mean:
"Eh, check out my bus pass!"
"Ho boy, you goin save plenny money on gas!"

Which is my motivation for revisiting TheBus.
My round trip to work is around 30 miles, which means I burn about two gallons of gas per day.
Not very economical, especially when you have other thing besides gas to pay for.
It would be difficult for me to ride TheBus on my dialysis days, since when I leave I'm in no condition to walk any long distance, so that leaves three days a week when I could conceivably ride TheBus to work and into town on Saturdays.
I could save $30 dollars a week or $120 dollars a month on gas.
A bus pass costs like $60.
Net savings, $60 a month.
Now sixty bucks is sixty bucks and now I'm really thinking about it.
Hard.
'Cept I ain't got no 'muter bike.
Maybe.
I could put a rack on the Ciocc:



I would need a rack for I carry a lot o'crap with me to work, plus I found out they got a shower there so I could change my clothes and be all zestfully clean for the rest of the day.
Well, I don't really want to do the drop bar thing in traffic, so maybe I can convert it to a flat bar:



Maybe.
Anyways, I've been looking at all the possibilities.
The thing is, I need to ride at least two times a week to make it worth my while so to speak, and to be honest, I'm sort of afraid to take the plunge.
Habit and all that.
Part of the reason is that Tuesdays and Thursdays would be the riding days, and I get out early on those days, early enough so that when I get home, I got pleny of time to get a ride in.
Something I wouldn't be able to do if I did TheBus thing.
There's some pros and cons I'm still working out, but I'd like to try it at least once, you know, to see how it goes.
So besides that other thing, I'm going to try and outfit one of the bicycles around here for work.
We'll see how that goes.
Or doesn't go.
Or something.
"Eh, how you came work?"
"I wen ride my bike."
"Allright!"

5 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

Looks like them mayor's limos have bike racks on the front, maybe there's a way to take out the middle chunk of your 15 mile commute with an express bus ride.

limom said...

I guess I forgot to mention that part.
I got a rather large hill between me and work, better to let the Mayor's Limo do the climbing.
I think maybe a total of six miles on the bike.

Steve A said...

Round our parts, an annual pass is $45. Of course, the nearest any transit comes to my house is seven miles away.

Scott said...

Hmmmm....skinny smooth tires on the MTB might work....

limom said...

Steve A, seven ain't too bad, as long as the bus stops in front of your work.
$45 is a deal!

Scott, I was thinking that too, but I sort of wanted to keep the MTB, a MTB.
Of course I could always look for another bicycle.
Maybe.