Monday, July 25, 2011

The 4mm Offset Blues

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'm not built right.
Too short, too fat, and if you haven't noticed, I got a big head.
The shortness part is depressing though, for I just can't seem to find the right parts to make my bicycle fit normally.
Today, my Deda RS01 seat post arrived.
I ordered this post for my ole Selcof post was at the limits of the seat rails and it was silver.
I wanted a black post.
To match the bicycle don't you know.
Anyways, the Deda was supposed to have like 4mm less set back than the post I got:



With my overall shortness, 25mm of set back is a bit too much.
I was all happy and giddy when I opened the box, the post being all shiny and black and nasty looking.
The Deda is a two bolt post, as opposed to the single bolt like the Selcof:



It makes leveling quite easy, same as like a Thomson post.
The single bolt would slip every now and then, I had to tighten that thing up until it was difficult to get off.
The post was also very long, so I got the Flat Tire Tubing Shortener and cut that thing down to size.
Okay, now the bad part.
The clamp on the Deda is wider than the old post which is a good thing.
Now though, the STOP line is behind the clamp:



Which is not a good thing.
Still, I suppose the wider clamp makes it much safer than the narrow clamp on my old post.
I mean my fatness is now distributed over a wider area of rail.
Okay, the front part of the clamp is closer to the front STOP mark, but because the clamp is so wide, it looks like this post has even more set back!
I was also hoping I wouldn't bury the Deda logo on the side, but my shortness assured only half a logo would show:



Then there's the seat.
Because it's one of them split designs, and because it's pretty flexy, I'm sort of worried about them two clamp bolts sticking up in the middle:



I mean I got enough problems without having to worry about two bolts sticking up my you know what.
If this seat post works out, I'll have to replace them bolts or cut them down.
I guess that's a fatness problem.
Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about this post.
I mean I guess it doesn't really matter since I only got like 10cm of post showing, but that offset thing sort of bothers me.
I cannot go with a zero offset post for that would clamp forward of the STOP line and 25mm offset posts clamp behind the STOP line.
Okay, I got goofy proportions too.
Boy, I'm sad.
Well, I'll run this Deda for a while since it's black and nasty and say it with me: image is everything.
Still, I'll keep an eyeball out for another post, maybe with a shorter clamp.
Or something.

5 comments:

Steve A said...

Hmm, it seems to me that flat tires are not fat, well at least not if you squeeze them. In any event, you want to avoid acquiring a spare tire. Well, unless you get a flat tire.

limom said...

Or it could be that the fat is causing the flats, the fat squeezing them tires.
I carry spare tubes in case of a flat, not the fat, though the fat looks sometimes like a spare.
Tube, I mean.

Rat Trap Press said...

I share your concern about the bolts sticking up through the split in the seat. I think the first big bump you hit will be a bit uncomfortable. I'd switch them out.

John Romeo Alpha said...

I see a custom 650B bike in your near future. I see it.

limom said...

RTP, I do believe you are correct sir!
I'll work on either cutting them down or changing them out.

JRA, now that I have two bikes to compare measurements, I've formed some theories.
More on this later.