Tuesday, July 19, 2011

On the Plain pt.II

So moving right along here, I guess I should show you some map data so you know where I was and where I was going.



Here's one of them oldfangled convertible firetrucks at the Fire Department Maintenance facility:



The area west of Pearl Harbor is known locally as Ewa Beach.
It's actually a large plain, but it does have a beach too.
More on that later.
Since this is the low area, the path goes over several streams that empty in the harbor:



The inner lochs of Pearl Harbor are therefore brackish.
In fact it's called Pearl Harbor for guess what? yeppers, they used to have oyster beds there.
The Hawaiian name for the harbor is actually wai momi, which means pearl waters.
Because of the natural drainage, the newer Hawaiian folks decided it would be a pretty good place to put a power plant.
Lighting up the night sky:



Thankfully an effort is underway to protect the shoreline as well:



I don't remember how many streams empty into the harbor, but I think I passed over at least four:



The mud flats created by the sediment:



The path is isolated along it's twelve mile length although you do have the oppurtunity to get off and enjoy civilization.
It officially ends near a service station, where I took a break:



Okay, that map thingy took up a lot of space.
Part III is next.

No comments: