Friday, July 15, 2011

The Speed of Sound

I made some changes today before heading out on my ride.
I've been riding the Ciocc this week, doing my usual a tweaking and a testing figuring what ever changes I make I can transfer over to the Celeste Devil.
Making position changes on the Ciocc is easier with all the newfangled stuff on it, specifically the stem.
The Celeste Devil has a quill and making changes to reach and drop aren't as easy as taking out some spacers.
Which is what I've been doing:



There's still two centimeters of stack there, and it feels pretty okay now, but I'm going to remove one more spacer, just to see what happens.
The hoods are now below the seat height, just a bit, and believe it or not, I don't feel all stretched out.
I also moved the seat back a couple of millimeters, I'll move it back a couple of more before I change the stem back to a 75mm.
What I'm trying to do is get better balance on the bicycle.
Now that I think about it, I always felt like I was leaning forwards, well okay I was and still am, but now my upper body doesn't feel like it's in between positions.
If you know what I mean.
I think I'm headed in the right direction.
Update on the Cranks Bros. Eggbeaters.
Actually more like an update on the cleats as the Premium cleats I got are giving me some problems.
It seems that they are a little taller than the other cleats and are hitting the springs on the pedals.
Here's the Celeste Devil pedals, which I haven't ridden since changing the cleats:



Here's the Ciocc pedals, where you can see the wear on the anodizing:



The Premium cleats do feel a bit loose, lots of float but I can also feel my foot rocking side to side on the pedal.
I don't think that's a good thing.
I'm going to try and change back to the regula cleats, and see what happens.
The Premium cleats are adjustable like SPD cleats so I like em, but not if they are going to start griding that spring down.
I can also try and alter the contact point of my shoes.
More on that later.
So hey Mr. Flat Tire, what's with the speed of sound thing?
I'm so glad you asked!
My custom stem cap came in today from the folks at Purely Custom so now it's official.
Women and small children get outta my way!
I am faster than the speed of sound:

5 comments:

Mark said...

Very nice stem cap. Impressive.

GreenComotion said...

Hot dog, yo!

Paz :)

limom said...

Thanks!

John Romeo Alpha said...

Now you've done it. I need a custom stem cap.

limom said...

I do believe it falls within the guidelines of the JRA rules of upgradis.