Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ninety Five Per Cent

Which is where my ankle is.
Almost there, but not quite.
I can pedal okay, I just can't step on the gas and hit the nitrous yet.
Hilly stuff is sort of uncomfortable too.
Still, I persevere!
That rent a bike kiosk thingy looks like it's doing okay:



The other day most of the bikes were out and about somewhere.
For whatever reason, I never see them around with someone actually riding one.
Today though, the rack was full; all the bicycles were idle.
The tourista have more than one choice when it come to transportation:



I don't know where these are coming from, I don't think anyone here in Kailua is renting them.
They are sort of a hybrid three wheeled motorcycle:



Oil burning two strokes based upon the sound and the smoke.
Still they look sort of fun.
Not that I'd like to take one around the whole island.
If you know what I mean.
For the most part, the tourists are cool, and they tend to stay out of everyone's way on the road.
Speaking of the road, JRA of One Speed: Go! fame reminded me to get some pictures of the sand dunes I sometimes have to ride through.
Okay, not really sand dunes, but just enough to make going through with skinny tires an adventure:



The beach is only about a hundred feet or so to the right and the sand gets tracked onto the road by folks dragging kayaks and stuff back to their cars.
The pavement is also a great place to stamp yer feet and get the sand out of yer slippahs.
It also plays havoc on my chains, which I why I clean and lube at least once every two weeks.
Speaking of chains, I got in my chain catcher today.
I was going with another Deda Dog Fang, but I didn't want to cover up the sticker on the seat tube.
Made in Italy don't you know.
So I went with this instead:



It's not one of them expensive Token catchers, but one that looks like someone made themselves.
The guy on the eVilness says he's selling them to help support his bicycle racing team or something and it was relatively inexpensive, compared to the bling bling ones.
You can get one from this guy here.
I don't have time to install it today, and since I got regula rings on the Ciocc, I hardly ever shift up front anyways.
I'll put it on tomorrow and show you, the reader, what it looks like.
Hopefully my ankle is 100% and I get at least one or two epic rides in before I go back to work.
I have a plan.
Maybe.

2 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

your sand > my sand

limom said...

I dunno.
My sand is kinda flat and your sand got some interesting things growing in there.