Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Work of Art

That's how I look at it.
The bicycle I mean.
I suppose it's the way I've been trained, or perhaps it's the way I've looked at things all my life.
I'm an art major don't you know.
Anyways, I nit pick on my bicycle to the point of embarrassment, but I can't help it.
It's the way I, and the bicycle are built.
The composition is just not finished until those last small little details are taken care of.
Of course you have to take care of the picture too.
I guess this is why I don't like sloping top tubes too much.
Nothing against them, and I'll eventually own a bicycle with one again, but the traditional frame just appeals to me.
It's the way a bicycle should look.
As a minimalist, I appreciate all that the bicycle is.
I mean for all it's complexity, how much simpler can it get?
Folks keep trying to make a better mouse trap, just as they keep trying to design a better bicycle, but in the end, where does it end up?
In my case, the only way to make it better is to work on the things other folks overlook, like those cable end crimps.
I mean why spend a good amount of cash on your bike and ignore a small part of it?
It's like Caravaggio said, "well this is all fine and dandy so I ain't going to finish the corners."
The fact that I built both my bicycles up only adds the responsibility, the obligation to finish them up, go all the way.
No, plain silver cable crimps won't do.
Well, unless you are like Picasso and you just use whatever paint you have handy.
Okay, I jest.
Of course 99.9% of the Earth's population could care less if my cable crimps match, but that's the 99.9% of the Earth's population that thinks their five year old kid can paint like Jackson Pollock.
It's okay though, I can dig it.
Not everyone is going to look at a bicycle and see a work of art.
Not everyone is going to take the time to clean every tooth on the big ring.
Not everyone is going to take a Q-tip to the smallest crevasses on their frames.
Okay, not really.
About the Q-tip part.
Maybe.
Okay, only sometimes.
I mean Celeste shows all the dirt and well, you know.
Okay, okay, I'm obsessive about my bicycles.
Not so much while I'm riding them though, too busy a huffing and a puffing.
When I'm stopped though, that's a different story.
If I had a blank wall, I'd hang my bike up and put a bench in front of it.
Just so I could sit and stare.
Folks would come by and get a close up look, then take a few steps back to take it all in.
They'd murmur to themselves, point to the color coordinated cable end crimps and nod their heads in approval.
I'd take the pipe out of my mouth and put my hand up to my chin and nod also.
I agree.
Perfect.

2 comments:

Steve A said...

They make cable end crimps in Celeste?

limom said...

Nah, I used the blue ones. Turquois was like a buck each.
Now Steve, I just know you want some red ones to match yer bike.