Tuesday, July 19, 2011

On the Plain pt.III

The Ewa plain is an important archeological area as sink holes have been found showing early island wildlife.
It's known that a large flightless bird once lived here, but it was probably eaten to extinction by the early settlers.
Just couldn't run fast enough and I guess the area was just too flat:



This was sugar country, as evidenced by the old rail tracks:



The trains hauled sugar cane to the refineries, which were held by the Big Five.
These five companies, known at the time as factors, held much of the land and power up until the time of statehood.
Then tourism became the big industry.
I passed by this:



Somewhere around there is the site of a WWII Japanese interment camp.
You can read the wiki about it here.
Okay, I can sort of see the ocean!
The wind was blowing me closer and closer.
Unfortunately, this means I got a head wind all the way back.
Oh yeah!
Mom and pop store:



So I'm sitting there, drinking a Sprite, when that white SUV pulls in.
I ask the person sitting inside, "so like, where's the beach?"
Turns out it was twenty feet to the right:



Ewa is a lot like Kailua as the homes are built right on the water.
To access the beach, you have to go through these public right of ways.
I can see the water!



It's right over there:



Diamond Head way over yonder.
So I'm standing there, enjoying the view, you know, watching the waves and all, and there's a gentleman fishing off to my left.
We're making small chit chat and he says I gotta go and check out what's on the beach down a ways.
Really? I says.
Okay, it's a bit far and I ain't walking in my bicycle shoes on the sand so I take them off and venture on down the shoreline.
Whoa!



WTH?





That's right endangered species fans!
Two Hawaiian Monk seals!
Snoozing on the sand!
Like right there!
Right there!
Okay, them Monk Seals are federally protected and there's like some kind of distance you gotta stay from them, you know, how'd you like it if some person bothered you while you were sleeping?
They sort of reminded me of this guy:



Anyways, I didn't get too close.
To the seals I mean.
The water was splashing over the head of one of em, but I guess a cold water splash to the face is nothing to them.
For me though, I just had to dip my doggies:



I already had my shoes off don't you know.
I shouldn't have done that, for it made me want to stay.
The blowing wind reminded me of the long road I had in front of me, so off I went:



Now off I go.



Okay, after thinking about it, I was going to edit out the location of those two beach bums, but no one reads this anyways.
At least no one from here.
Still, let me just say, that it is against Federal and State law to harass or endanger a monk seal.
Penalties are five years in jail or a $50,000 fine.
Or both.
No kidding.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Those Seals are awesome!

John Romeo Alpha said...

Unlawful to take limu without permit! Did you take limu?

limom said...

Mark, the monk seals mostly hang out in the Northwest Islands, which is now a protected area, so it's exciting to see them anywhere on the main islands.
Interestingly, scientists have been looking at bringing the pups down to the main islands as it seems their survival rate is better.

JRA, the limu(seaweed) is a big thing over here. Certain types are used for raw fish dishes and is in high demand. About ten years ago, it was pretty much harvested out, but I think now it's making a comeback.
Areas where limu grows are carefully guarded secrets.

Apertome said...

Wow, the seals are amazing! What a find! I take it you are allowed to borrow their photons at least?

limom said...

Pictures are not a problem.
Sometimes when them seals appear on a more populated beach, some gov't folks will come and hang some yellow tape around the area to prevent folks from getting too close.
Monk seals tend to attract a crowd.
I could have gotten closer, but it occured to me that as cute as they were, they aren't exactly tame.
If you know what I mean.