Saturday, July 30, 2011

In the Safe Zone

Sort of.
I mean I'm almost there.
If you've been following along at home you, the reader, know that I've been on a Quest for the Perfect Cycling Position(QFTPCP) for some time.
As a matter of fact, I don't think it ever ends.
Well, after reading that thread on bikeforums, I decided to test some of these theories on seat position out.
Basically it suggests that the rider move the seat back, drop the bars and this is the important part, straighten the back.
The rider's back I mean.
Since I don't know anything about bicycle fit, I just jumped on my bike and started to adjust for comfort, I figured it's worth it to try something different.
I mean I'm open to suggestions on how to make my rides more enjoyable.
The problem I first encountered when getting a road bike was length.
It felt really long and stretched out.
Conventional wisdom says to shorten it all up, things like stem and bar reach.
Which I did.
I guess though, riding on a road bike is a different animal and not subject to convention.
Today I moved my seat back.
You can see my original seat position here.
I only moved it back like half a centimeter figuring that was plenty to try out:



At least now, the rails are positioned sort of in the safe zone, at least safer than the old position.
First, it doesn't feel that much different from where it was, bottom of the shorts feel anyways.
I'm behind KOPS now, my knees slightly behind the pedals and that feels a bit strange, but not like really strange.
If you know what I mean.
The seat is also slightly, and I mean slightly, tilted up, to create sort of a cradle for my well, derrier, just enough so that I won't slide forwards.
The most difficult part of this new seating position is straightening out my back.
I have really bad posture, too much time watching Law & Order, and it's not natural for me to straighten it out.
My back I mean.
It also changes the pressure location on your sit bones, not really radically, but enough that you notice it.
I rode around like this for oh say five miles or so, conscious of keeping my back straight, and didn't notice any real discomfort.
It does relieve some pressure off the hands and neck, though I'd have to put in some real miles to give it the full test.
I'll probably move the seat back another half centimeter or so, now that I sort of understand the theory.
I gotta say, it's very counter intuitive.
I mean the adjustments are made to get low, while convention is telling me to get upright.
At my bicycle size, there is a recommended seat to bar drop of three inches, though I think that's a bit much.
There are still some spacers on the steerer, so I got some room to play:



I really need to cut that steerer tube for those spacers on top aren't exactly safe.
Maybe I'll take out a centimeter of spacer and see what that feels like.
So anyways, this stuff is all very strange for me, as I said it's very counter intuitive.
The change in my riding position is sort of drastic, especially the straightening the back part, but hopefully it's something I'll get used to.
By the way, I'll be keeping the Celeste Devil the same for now, as sort of a control.
If this newfangled stuff don't work out, I can always go back to what worked before.
I'm anxious to see how these changes pan out, good or bad.
Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Steve A said...

OTOH, maybe all this stuff doesn't make a whole lot of difference...

limom said...

Well, I won't know unless I try.