Friday, July 29, 2011

Watering the Plants and Other Musings

So today, Mother Nature decided it was water the plants day.
Usually I don't mind when she waters the plants cause I'm usually at work or doing something else, but today was kinda a bummer for I took off from work and was looking forward to getting in some miles.
Still, the Cactus Army looked happy:



These last few weeks have been on the dry side, good for me, not so good for them.
Anyways, since I'm couching it today, and there's no Law & Order on yet, I had some time to ponder some things.
First, I read this post on bikeforums about riding positions.
I sort of wish I hadn't read it, since I thought I was on the happy side of seat, bar and stem, but I did and now I have some new theories to work through.
I'm not really elated about finding that thread, but I admit to knowing nothing about bike fit so any info is good info.
Even if I have to undo everything I already did.
Which may or may not be a good thing.
Since I was contemplating the repositioning of my bars, I was wondering what they might look like with new tape.
On the Ciocc I mean.
Right now, with the black tape it looks okay, but I was thinking maybe yellow:



I gotta say, light colored bar tape is not one of my favorite things.
I clean the bar tape on the Celeste Devil like once a week, depending on how much I ride it, and it doesn't get completely clean.
Meaning I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace it much sooner than later.
Celeste being such a pure color and any dirt on it makes it look well, dirty.
If you know what I mean.
I wonder what would happen if I like use some Scotchguard or something.
I got nothing against black tape except that it gets no style points and say it with me: image is everything.
Or I could get me some yellow hoods, but I think yellow hoods means finding a yellow seat, and I haven't seen any yellow seats around.
Besides, I kinda like the set I got now.
Once I find the right position for it.
Then there's the whole regala rings, compact rings thing.
The regala chain rings on the Ciocc haven't give me any problems or anything; I really like the 39, but I've never used the Big Ring.
In fact I sort of prefer the 39 for it lets me use the whole cassette as compared to the compact, which I find limits my gear selection somewhat.
I'm sort of thinking of making both bikes the same, you know, so that when I'm riding I don't have to think about the gears and all, but the Veloce compact is sort of rare in my crank length and I'm wondering if I should jump on one just for the hell of it.
The new Veloce has a different bottom bracket thingy don't you know.
Or I could find a Centaur regala set and go that way.
Not too sure about what I'm going to do.
At least my left shifters are like in pristine condition.
Anyways, I gotta figure out what to do before them Veloce cranksets become impossible to find.
Finally, I've found a vast new wasteland to roam and plunder.
I've been getting rid of some bike parts that have just been sitting around, posting them up on CL and all.
Well last week, I sent out a rear derailleur to California and today I get an inquiry from Texas!
I never thought of scrounging the listings in other cities!
Just the listings in California alone can take like the whole day!
All night too!
Oh boy I'm so excited I got the giddys!
A whole new world of bicycle parts and other peoples junk right at my fingertips!
I figure I can start on the west coast and work my way east.
Should take me about a week or so and then guess what?
I can start all over again!
No such thing as boredom around here.
Nosirreebob.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think dark blue or burnt orange/red would look good for the bar tape with the celeste paint of your bike...

John Romeo Alpha said...

Your readers thank you for keeping the bicycle-related portion of the economy going.

limom said...

PaddyAnne, the Flat Tire Committee on Complimentary Colors will take your suggestion under advisement.

JRA, just doing my part.

Steve A said...

All humor aside, you can't go wrong with "basic black" on that Ciocc. Celeste on the Bianchi if you don't mind constant cleaning. Otherwise, basic black works there as well.

limom said...

Black is nasty and all, but sort of boring.
You may be right about the black on the Ciocc though.
Maybe some yellow hoods?