Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's a Sickness

At least that's what I'm calling it.
A sickness, that sort of explains it.
It defies reasonable explanations or logic, so there must be something wrong with me.
Today was like a half day at work, the teachers didn't even bother to show up so they sent us home early.
Okay, actually the teachers got like an unpaid leave day, part of a contract that's in dispute.
So what else is new?
Anyways, I came home and decided to do some bicycle work.
I was leaving all my control cables on the long side figuring I'd wait until I was happy with my set up.
If you've been following along at home, you, the reader, know that I've been a tweaking and a changing and measuring stuff trying to get everything to fit right.
Well, it's been some time now that I've tweaked or measured, so I thought it was time to trim them cables:



As you can see, they were all poking up above the bar looking all unruly and unkempt.
So out came the cutter thingys and a trimming I went!
I also got to see what the cables looked like after a thousand miles or so.
Some of the housings were slipping on the actual cable part and the front derailleur cable got some kind of twist in it.
Maybe time to try them Yokozuna cables I got sitting around.
Anyways, I trimmed them up best I could:



Hey wait! That's not the same bar and stem!
That's right Cinelli fans!
I got a new stem and bar!
The exact same size and everything, only a different model stem and I think older period bars.
It's official!
I am Cinelli Crazy!
Not to be confused of course with Campagnolo Crazy, that's an entirely different animal.
I don't know when it happened.
I was just browsing the eVilness one day, and this bar and stem came up and even though it was the same size as the bar and stem I got, I just had to have them!
It's madness I say.
I mean who in his right mind would buy the same bars just for the different badging?
I'm crazy!
Cinelli Crazy!
Okay, amid all that craziness, I did manage to tame my cables somewhat.
I tried my best to get them to cross dead center, but I got tired of threading the cables and trimming and gave up.
Close enough:



Boy, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, it's like I got some kind of obsession or something.
Of course after wrapping the bars I couldn't use just any bar end caps:



Oh yeah baby!
Some blue anodized Cinelli bar end caps!
I'm sitting here admiring them right now.
I gotta say, I'm all stoked and stuff but also a bit worried.
I mean how far will I go?
When will the sickness go away?
Will it ever go away?
Maybe I will be cursed to forever scrounge the interwebz for Cinelli branded items.
Oh please, I need some help!
You gotta love it though, all the Italian goodness.
Almost better than pasta:

5 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

I'm down with it! The sickness, I mean.


[ummicaci]

TrevorW�� said...

It is a sickness that I hope they never find a cure for.....!!

I have just had my daily dose of Cinelli at cinellionly.blogspot.com try it if you haven't already...nothing as good as feeding the sickness.

-Trevor

limom said...

oh oh!
I think it's contagious.

Tracy W said...

Now wait a minute....I'm suspecting the real purpose was to change the bar and stem and the cables were a lucky accident along the way.

But, I don't blame you. It makes perfectly good sense to me.

limom said...

Damn!
You saw right through my charade.
Step one of course, is admitting I have a problem.