Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Around the Horn!

Actually it's more like Around Diamond Head!
The last epic ride of the summer.
I had to get one more nice ride in before going back to work, so despite not feeling my best today, off I went!
I caught a ride into Honolulu with my father, that set me back an hour or so.
I figured though, if I hit Waikiki by noon, I'd be alright.
Oh, here's the map of my route:



I had a bike lane for the beginning part of the ride. Instead of going through downtown, I took the highway:



Here's an inter island barge:



Consumer stuffs are shipped to other islands after being off loaded in Honolulu Harbor.
The outer islands don't have a deep draft harbor to handle the big boats.
The local long line fishing boats:



Heading east past Aloha Tower, I side walked it for a bit since the bike lane ends.
I then cut through the waterfront parks.
I found some folks fishing for what looked like sardines:



They are standing over what looks like some kind of concrete drainage thingy, though I could be wrong:



A few summers ago, I saw some kids swimming in there.
Looked pretty cool.
Before heading out, I had read in the paper that they were looking for someone off of Kakaako, someone lost in the water.
I didn't think anything of it until I got there:




Just to the left of where I got that bottom image, they had the body covered in white sheets.
I didn't really want to see that.
All the commotion didn't seem to bother the surfers though:



That was a bit surreal.
Sort of reminds you that the water giveth, and the water taketh away.
If you know what I mean.
On to Kewalo Basin and the charter fleet:



Right around the corner is Ala Moana Beach Park.
Not very busy today since it was a work day and it was overcast:



All the way on the east end is called Magic Island.
It's not really an island, more like a jetty.
If you remember Gilligan's Island, you can see the old Magic Island as the Minnow goes off for it's three hour tour.
Now it's a protected lagoon:



Part II coming up.

No comments: