Tuesday, July 19, 2011

On the Plain

The Ewa plain that is.
If you come to Hawaii and ask for directions, you'll not get the usual north, south, east, west.
Folks here say Diamond Head and Ewa, Mauka and Makai, the former being places and the later meaning to the mountains and towards the sea.
I mean this is an island, and if you just keep going you'll eventually end up back where you started.
It's not like we need a compass.
If you know what I mean.
Still, the terrain here varies, from tropical rain forest to low level plains.
Which is where I ventured today.
The Ewa plain if you haven't guessed, is in the opposite direction of Diamond Head, as you'll soon see.
Okay, I started off at The Warehouse, mainly because I could park my car there. The path I took wandered under and around the airport viaduct:



I knew of this path, and the path that goes around Pearl Harbor, I just didn't know how to connect the two until I got Garmin info from Statrixbob.
A BIG thank you to Statrixbob for providing me with route information, which through the wonders of modern technology was uploaded into my Garmin thingy.
So all I had to do was make Hansel and Gretel and follow the breadcrumbs:



Which led me here:



The Arizona Memorial is right around the corner, but I kept going.
I had many miles before I sleep.
Let me say that the Pearl Harbor path is not in very good condition. If I could, I would have mountain biked it as the asphalt is all bumpy and cracked:



There are also sections were tree roots have created whoopty doos and berms have been formed by soil deposits.
This held my speed down even though I had a rather large wind at my back.
I missed a couple of turns, but the Garmin beeps and lets you know when you're off course.
Even when you're on course.
More on that later.
Finally, Pearl Harbor:



If you squint your eyeballs, you can see the Arizona Memorial and the Missouri.
My tours of Big Mo and the Bowfin museum can be found here and here.
So anyways, the path snakes along the harbor, sending you through industrial and residential areas.
A small taro and watercress patch:



Mothball fleet:



Okay, this is getting long, part II coming up.

No comments: